Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Keep it running

so due to plane delays and the sort, the group from the States didn't all show up until around 11:00 PM on Thursday. I threw their luggage into my truck, reminiscent of Guadalajara, picked up a fellow guide, and was promptly pulled over by the police. Their claim was that I was driving with my lights off. Right. So they were confiscating my license and telling me that I'd have to go to the HQ the next day to pay some sort of fine and get my license back. That sounded like a grand time, to continue driving for another 4 hours with no license of which to speak - and my flight was leaving in 6 hours...

So we took care of it on the side of the road - $10. Up to the mountains I drove. I returned to Monterrey at 4:00 in the morning, with almost 2 hours before my taxi to the airport - as compared to the 15 minutes from the week before.

No sleep and I continued my streak of sleeping before taking off and waking up on the descent, got to hear people complain about the hassle of flying standby on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend in Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Delayed, I showed up in Bethesda, MD, greeted by tables of endless Blue crab and a couple pounds of Old Bay.

A few hours of sleep and Charley and I spent some time maintaining sanity through humor directed at the expense of others while the girls of the wedding got shoes and other unmentionables. 40 minutes and we were off to the rehearsal dinner. They thought there was no rehearsal involved, so I noted that then it would just be called Dinner.

A few hours of sleep and I was wearing a kippah and sweating in the humidity of the wedding. Apparently enough time has passed and it is now possible to find a Dixie Land Jazz Band, so I foxtrotted the afternoon and evening away.

A few hours of sleep and the buffet. A few hours of sleep and the remaining crew went to a diner where anything that you could imagine, and things that you couldn't imagine can all be ordered. My favorite on the menu was the Tropical Health Salad, which was Jell-O, cottage cheese and a few fruits on a bed of greens. There was an unknown Greek meat dish that joined us on our adventure at Dave & Buster's, an adult version of Chuck-E-Cheese. After we were forcefully asked to leave, the unknown dish was hidden to grow legs and haunt the establishment.

A few hours of sleep and back to Mexico. Back to hanging out in trees tomorrow.

1 comment:

Eric Puelsch said...

Sounds like a grand time. Disappointed we couldn't get together while you were up in the northeast. Your blog is way better than mine by the way. You gotta give me some tips when I see ya
Adios Amigo