Friday, May 18, 2007

más ligero

So you board a bus on the American side of the border. But it's really already Mexico, because you better learn some Spanish quickly, as nobody's speaking English anymore. You cross the border and enter customs. Everyone sends their baggage through a machine and then waits in line to push a button below what looks like a traffic light. If the light is green when you press the button, back on the bus you go. If it is red, the customs agent goes through your bag. Guess which color I got. The agent asked why my bag was wet. I told him that I had been out in the rain and pointed outside. Mexico says, "Gracias, Sr. Gringo Obvio."

The bus ride was a hoot. It had been a while since I'd had the chance to see Weekend at Bernie's.

After arriving in Monterrey, Edgar picked me up in his car. A belt had snapped on the engine, so the battery was not recharging. A few miles from the office, the windshield wipers stopped working and the car eventually stalled. In a rainy rush hour, I got to push his car across a couple of lanes to where we could park it. Mexico says, "Bienvenido, le hemos estado esperando."

2 comments:

Tam and Laura said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, dear Charley!
Happy Birthday to you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Son,

I am wondering if Tam and Laura's little ditty is to be sung in traditional or dirge mode.

Hope you day is great!

Love,
Ma