Friday, September 07, 2007

The rumors

They're true. They let me back in, but not without a fight.

I sat for only 20min. on the bridge of no-man's land before the Customs Agents began to assert the freedom of the country upon me. After opening the back of my truck, they informed me that I would have to unload some of my gear so that they could see the whole way through the cab (very different from the last time I returned). So I pulled over and unloaded the top layer of the bed. After waiting 10 minutes, I caught the attention of another officer, that informed me that I would have to unload the rest of the truck for the dog to climb in.

Another 10 minutes waiting, sitting on the back of the truck, snapping photos and an officer informed me not nicely that I could not take photos and to delete them in front of him. I felt it wise not to discuss the legality of the issue, as I just wanted to reenter the freest of all countries in the world! Then the dog started having its search around - in the back, around the truck, in the front, in the back, in the front, in the front. All the while I was being questioned about the length of my stay down there, what I was doing, how I could afford it. I almost mentioned my allergy to drug-dog dander, but there went my head again. I was muttering for the dog to smell the spare tire - the Customs agent asked me what I said. Oh, nothing, just please do a thorough check of everything please. It seemed that the dog picked up a scent in the cab, that I can honestly say would have no relation to me whatsoever, and after carefully chosen words (the best possible after not sleeping for 24 hours), my passport and keys were returned to me. I paid the $1.25 liquor import tax and went about trying to get out of Texas. Back to enjoy the Freedom of the homeland that no living in the mountains of Mexico could ever afford. EVER. NOT POSSIBLE.

On another note, returning to the smells and sights of the Sonoran Desert has brought a smile to my face, although squatting in an empty house is a bit odd. One good thing is that you don't have to turn any lights on, because you won't run into anything.

Adjustments, reflections and the list to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds about right...
i'm sorry i disappeared... write me and i'll explain my conundrum a bit more thoroughly...

sarah@diedrodesign.com