Monday, January 29, 2007

Meir Dikt!

I went back to Zion. Winter's great there. No people. I was the only one at Mosquito Cove last night. I drove through Colorado City today. Everything was normal there. Here, photos:




























































I know you've been waiting. It's been a long time since I've found poetry to contend with "Animal Lover." But I've done it. It was written by David E. Owens, for the sole and exclusive use of the Tri-State ATV Club, entitled The Wilderness and Me.





Who says that it's too hot to ride? Who says it's far too cold?
Who's gonna look me in the eye and say I'm much too old?
Who says this land is wilderness? This land I know so well,
This land I hiked so long ago before my first school bell.

There sure are lots of roads through here to call this wilderness.
Grandpa had a name for it, a name I can't express.
He called it something else one day that made Mom's face just glow.
His cursing ruts and drop-offs just made me want to go.


I traveled into gullies both dry and full of rain.
I booted horse and cow through sage to get them home again.
I saw the rainbow in the sky, the sun burn through at dawn.
I saw the moon come up at night. I watched till it was gone.


This used to be our land, or so it once was called.
Now people say we got it wrong. It isn't ours at all.
Environmentalists explain that all those roads can't be,
But they're the same trails Grandpa rode when he went with me.

It was never hot for my Grandpa nor was it ever cocld.
He rode those trails every day and never got too old.
And I will too, till the day I die. That's all I have to say.
I'll ride them with my Grandson until my dying day!

-Wonderful, right? Be sure to attend the 2007 ATV Tri-State Jamboree from March 14-17th in Hurricane (Pronounced Her-kin), UT.


Finally, have a look at the dying lake:

No comments: