Friday, December 02, 2005

On whining

I spend every day in a canyon. Every day. Every day I put on a thick wetsuit and gear, taking people as useless as driftwood down flowing drainages. Every day people moan about how hot their wetsuits are, how cold the water is, how they are hungover and can not lift their legs b/c they've either been too active already or are encumbered by the thickness of neoprene on their body. Understand, they're the acme of health and fitness, and it is simply a coincidence that they can't accomplish the tasks asked of them on this specific day.

I spend every day in a canyon. Every day. I jump over 30ft into pools of cold water. I take goggles and swim under waterfalls, finding undercuts in the rocks; fish have somehow found their way into the most impossible pools. They swim at the bottom with me, where after 10s, it feels as if you've eaten ice cream far too quickly. Some people spend time at a desk staring at a screen. I stare at waterfalls in a national park.

I spend every day in a canyon. Every day. And it's wonderful.

No comments: